At Middleton Primary School, maths is an integral part of the curriculum. In maths, we offer our children:
• A broad range of skills in using and applying mathematics.
• Fluent knowledge and recall of number facts and the number system.
• The ability to show initiative in solving problems in a wide range of contexts, including the new or unusual.
• The ability to think independently and to persevere when faced with challenges, showing a confidence of success.
• The ability to embrace the value of learning from mistakes and false starts.
• The ability to reason, generalise and make sense of solutions.
• Fluency in performing written and mental calculations and mathematical techniques.
• A wide range of mathematical vocabulary.
• A commitment to and passion for the subject.
Maths is integral to everyday life and with this in mind we endeavour to make sure that children develop a positive and enthusiastic attitude towards the subject. We want this attitude to stay with them forever. The fundamental skills that children learn in maths are important life skills that will prepare them well for the future.
Maths is taught daily, usually during the morning. Children are encouraged to develop their knowledge and understanding of maths through practical activity, exploration and discussion. They learn to use and apply mathematics in the areas of numbers, algebra, shape and space and data handling. From an early stage we build up children’s confidence and skill in using mental calculation strategies.
Most importantly, Maths is fun and is to be enjoyed! At Middleton we want every child to reach their full potential in Maths. We teach the subject using a variety of methods such as practical investigations and outdoor learning in order to engage and excite the children and make the learning experience enjoyable for every child.